I don't usually do these things, but maybe I'm in the holiday spirit or something. I noticed danah recently did a 5 things list that focused on embarrassing things, so I'll try to lean in that direction.
5 Things You Probably Don't Know About Me
- I spent nearly nine years between graduating high school and graduating college with a BS. Before finally switching to computer science I seriously entertained majoring in art, and then psychology for a couple of years. Even after picking CS I was going to minor in dance until my advisor talked me out of it. I also spent a few years not being in school mixed in there.
- I spent one night homeless in New Orleans in 1990 and slept in the bus station until they kicked me out, and then jumped a fence in the French Quarter and slept on someone's porch until early dawn, when I moved to a park bench in Jackson Square.
- I grew up in a rural NC house that for a long time lacked indoor plumbing and electricity. I used to read by oil lamp at night. We took showers outside under a hose, which sucks when there's snow on the ground. Even after we got the plumbing and electricity hooked up, the house was like a large well disguised shack in many respects. The only source of heat was a wood stove. I've probably chopped more wood than anyone else you know.
- I cry at movies all the time, especially on airplanes. Sometimes I tear up when listening to patriotic songs.
- There are videos of me and a high school friend lip syncing to Air Supply and playing a house organ and air guitar. We weren't being ironic or funny.
Wow, I'm starting to realize I could probably easily list 50 embarrassing things if I had to.